Friday 9 November 2007

Brazil vice-captain Gilberto looking to stay with Arsenal


Brazil vice-captain Gilberto said that although he was unhappy at losing his place in Arsenal's first team he wanted to extend his contract and stay with the club.

Gilberto had been named as a substitute seven times and started just one of Arsenal's last eight games before Wednesday's Champions League Group H match at Slavia Prague.

After playing the full 90 minutes in Prague, where Arsenal secured their passage into the last 16 with a 0-0 draw, Gilberto was quoted in Thursday's London Evening Standard saying:

"I am not thinking about leaving the club now. I prefer to think I have the ability to get back into the team but my situation is not very comfortable on the bench."

The 31-year-old added he did not know what coach Arsene Wenger's long-term plans for him were but said: "It would be great if I extend my contract with the club and finish my career here. We will see if the club has the same feeling."

Gilberto, who joined Arsenal from Atletico Mineiro for 4.5 million pounds ($9.45 million) after the 2002 World Cup finals, has 18 months remaining on his contract but has been linked with moves to Juventus and Valencia.

0 comments: