Monday 3 September 2007

Serie A - Adriano unperturbed by snub


Internazionale striker Adriano insists he is not worried by his Champions League snub.


The Brazilian's name did not feature on Inter's list of 25 players to be registered with UEFA for this year's competition when it was announced on Sunday.


But the burly marksman claims the snub does not bother him and that he is happy with the Italian champions.


"If [Inter coach] Roberto Mancini didn't want me he would have definitely put me out," Adriano told Gazzetta Dello Sport.


"Mancini explained to me it was a hypothesis he was considering. I told him to do what he wanted.


"It is for this reason I haven't been surprised by the exclusion. I only think about training and I'm tranquil."


Adriano's form and attitude was called into question for much of last season, prompting intense speculation he may quit the Giuseppe Meazza on a loan deal over the summer.


But the 25-year-old refused to leave on a temporary basis, saying if he was forced out he would prefer not to return. Mancini ultimately decided to keep Adriano, allowing sixth striker Alvaro Recoba to join Torino instead.

And his exclusion from European football will now mean Adriano will be able to concentrate on his domestic game.

Mancini said: "From my side there has always been faith, even when he has been excluded before.

"I'm convinced he could come back as the player he was, but he must out something personal.

"We will do our best to help him. Working in a pair you are successful."

0 comments: